My personal style is warm, relaxed and non-judgemental. It is my aim to put you at ease and create a safe, confidential space in which you can speak freely and honestly.
I have trained as an Integrative Counsellor. This means that I am able to use a number of different methods to work with my clients. After all, one size does not fit all! The foundation of my approach is Person Centred, which emphasises the power of the relationship between the counsellor and the client, which enables the client to explore troublesome thoughts and feelings. I've also received training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which looks at how to change unhelpful thought patterns that can affect our feelings and behaviour. Finally, I have been trained in Transactional Analysis (TA), which explores the way we communicate with others and how this affects our relationships.
My qualifications include:
- CPCAB Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Therapeutic Counselling (Aylesbury College, 2016)
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Studies (Aylesbury College, 2014)
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Skill (Aylesbury College, 2013)
- PGCE (Primary) (University of Hertfordshire, 2005)
- BA(Hons) (University of Melbourne, 1994)
I have had additional training in the following areas:
- Working with young people with depression
- Working with young people with anxiety
- Working with young people with PTSD
- Working with young people who self harm
- Supporting young people experiencing domestic abuse
- Working with adolescents who abuse parents
- Working with suicide and risk in young people
- Online counselling
- Supporting women and girls who have experienced FGM
- Supporting victims of sexual and domestic abuse
- Autism awareness
- Understanding attachment issues
My training is ongoing and I attend courses and conferences on a regular basis throughout the year.
As a counsellor, I have worked extensively with young people, from 11 to 21 years old, over the last two years. I also have experience working with young people with physical and learning disabilities, as a support worker with Action for Children.
I hold public and professional indemnity insurance and an enhanced DBS certificate, which is reviewed annually